In desktop virtualization, a connection broker is a software program that allows the end-user to connect to an available desktop.
The connection broker performs tasks that include:
- Validating the user name and providing a connection for the user.
- Providing the ability for the user to connect to a specific virtual machine (VM), virtual client, PC blade or terminal services server.
- Providing the ability for the user to access multiple VM pools. (If the user is permitted to access a variety of pools, the broker prompts the user to select a pool at login time.)
- Monitoring the activity level of a given virtual machine and setting status to active or inactive.
- Handling reassignment of a virtual machine when a user disconnects